Domestic (US) Service Opportunities
One of the most important contributions of a humanitarian organization is the service they provide to vulnerable communities and beneficiaries. And we could not be more excited to open up our US-based volunteer opportunities that you can take part in!
There are multiple ways that you can get involved and participate in a UMR domestic service event! These opportunities include:
- Our HQ service events: You can find these opportunities right on this page below. Many events will be based in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area given the location of our office but we will hold various service events around the country throughout the year so keep a look out when one comes to your area!
- Our Chapter service events: You can find these opportunities and learn more about our chapters across the US here. Our chapters hold multiple service events a semester and we at HQ try to attend them throughout the year as well. We hope you’ll join us for a chapter service project in your community!
- Hold your OWN service project: If there are no UMR or chapter service projects occurring in your area, fear not as you can hold your own service project by using our Humanitarian’s Service Project toolkit (to be debuted in the near future)! We will provide you step-by-step instructions, recommendations, marketing materials, and other forms that can be used to implement a service event within your own community. You will also have the full support and attention of our Volunteer Management Coordinator who can assist you with any planning, help you with brainstorming, or issues that arise.
We cannot wait to see you at one of our future service events and look forward to expanding the impact of our aid across the United States. It cannot be done without your help though as the impact of our work is always greatest because we are #BetterTogether. Join us!
Check out our open sign ups for in-person domestic service events below!
Description: Given the tragic events that occurred in Afghanistan this summer, hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children were forced to flee their homes, adding to the already 82.4 million people forcibly displaced worldwide. With the United States, and specifically, the DMV area, expected to receive thousands of new arrivals in the coming weeks and months, UMR wanted to be at the forefront of assistance to welcome newcomers to the area with warmth and hospitality!
We will be partnering with a local nonprofit that directly assists the beneficiaries: Homes Not Borders, an organization whose mission is to provide the refugee, Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) and asylum-seeking population of the D.C. area with what they need to thrive and feel at home in the United States
Volunteers will be asked to assist with various components of home set ups for new Afghan arrivals under the various classifications for US entrants. Some of the assistance we will be asking for includes, but is not limited to:
- Moving in furniture and household items
- Picking up and transporting furniture
- Assembling furniture
- Assembling and making beds
- Setting up various rooms such as the kitchen, living room, dining room, etc.
- Organizing warehouse in-kind donations and household items
Dates & Locations: We fully expect to continue to provide these group volunteer opportunities on an ongoing basis for weeks and months to come. If you are interested, please sign up through our form below so we can reach out to you regarding specific group volunteer dates that we have arranged.
We plan to offer volunteer opportunities on both weekends and weekdays.
Most of our home set ups and assistance will occur in the Landover, MD and Riverdale, MD areas. That being said, assistance is needed all around the DMV so our opportunities will not be limited to Maryland. Unfortunately, we cannot provide transportation to the volunteer sites.
# of Volunteers Requesting Per Session: For each of our group volunteer sessions, we will be looking to bring 6 – 12 volunteers depending on the tasks we will be assisting with that day.
The specific tasks we will be assisting with as well as the exact number of volunteers needed per session will be communicated to volunteers who have expressed interest in this opportunity. A private sign up form will be included in those communications for specific group volunteer sessions.
Sign Up: To get involved with this volunteer opportunity and receive updates about future sessions, please submit the sign-up form here. There are no strict requirements for this opportunity which is open to all ages and includes tasks that do not require heavy lifting. The only things we ask of volunteers other than physical attendance are enthusiasm, smiles, and a positive attitude!
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we will ask that all volunteers attending, regardless of vaccination status, wear a mask during the event unless eating or drinking.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our Volunteer Management Coordinator.